The Health & Safety Code, section 40801 specifies that a hearing board have:
- one member admitted to the practice of law;
- one member who is a professional engineer;
- one member from the medical profession; and
- two public members.
The Yolo-Solano AQMD Hearing Board has five members:
- Medical Member: Rhonda Martin, Nursing Operations Officer, NorthBay Healthcare Hospitals
- Attorney Member: Susan Gefter, Retired
- Professional Engineer Member: Tom Kear, Senior Transportation Engineer and Planner, Cambridge Systematics
- Public Member: Bruce Du Clair, Retired
- Public Member: Todd Bruce, Manager for Dutra Group
The District hearing board meets on an as needed basis. The law requires public notice of hearing board meetings and an opportunity for the public to attend, observe, and participate in hearing board proceedings. Each meeting of the hearing board is recorded and available for public review.
Hearing board members are appointed by the Board of Directors and serve three year terms.
The Health & Safety Code delegates to the hearing boards the authority to hear and decide three types of cases: applications for variances, requests for abatement orders, and permit disputes.