The Yolo-Solano Air Quality Management District (District) has an expansive public outreach program. Clean Air Classrooms is our education effort for K-12 students. The program includes an annual Clean Air Art/Calendar Contest in addition to classroom visits and presentations. Air Quality educational resources are available below. To request a class presentation or District participation in a school event, contact Karin Bloesch at email@example.com or (530) 757-3539.
2023 Clean Air Art Contest
Help us spread the Clean Air message!
New for 2023, the Yolo-Solano Air Quality Management District is inviting students that live in or attend school within the District boundary to submit artwork for the 2023 Clean Air Art Contest by March 31, 2023 at 4:00 p.m.
The District has held an annual calendar contest for students that live or attend school within the District boundary, and winning submissions were featured in a yearly calendar. This year, the contest will provide an opportunity for students to illustrate provided Clean Air Messages that can be used throughout the year in District outreach materials.
Illustrate one of these Clean Air messages and share what it means to you!
- Walking and Biking to School is Good for the Air / Ir a la escuela a pie o en bici es bueno para el aire
- Turn The Key, and Be Idle Free / Gira la llave y no dejes prendido el motor
- Spare The Air – Leave Your Car at Home / Protege el aire – Deja tu auto en casa
- Clean Air Is Important To Me Because…(Share your ‘Why’ or how you help to improve air quality in your community. Please avoid messages about water pollution, littering, or recycling.)
El aire limpio es importante para mí porque…(Comparte tu razón o cómo contribuyes a mejorar la calidad del aire en tu comunidad. Evita mensajes sobre la contaminación del agua, la basura o el reciclaje.)
Download flyers, entry forms, view the contest rules below.
For any questions or to schedule a school visit, please contact the District Office at (530) 757-3650 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to seeing your colorful works of art!
- Contest Flyer (Eng/Sp)
- Entry Form (Eng/Sp)
- Contest Rules
- River Delta USD Materials
- Woodland Joint USD Materials
- Washington USD Materials
- Artwork must be submitted with a completed Entry Form by March 31, 2023 at 4pm
- Students must live in or attend school within the District boundary (Yolo County and the cities of Dixon, Rio Vista, and Vacaville)
- Artwork must be on 8 1/2” X 11” paper (Horizontal or Vertical)
- Drawings must be student’s own original artwork, and will not be returned
- Bilingual entries are encouraged
- Please DO NOT FOLD OR STAPLE your drawing
- Entries may be mailed or delivered to: YSAMQD attn: Clean Air Art Contest, 1947 Galileo Court, Suite 103, Davis, CA 95618
- High Quality scanned images (300 dpi as .jpeg or .png files) of original artwork may be submitted by email to email@example.com
Artwork will be judged in 4 grade categories: K-2, 3-5, 6-8, 9-12
1st Place winners in each category will receive a $30 Amazon gift card.
2nd and 3rd Place winners will each receive a $25 Amazon gift card.
1st through 3rd Place winners in each grade category will receive recognition in the District’s Clean Air Art Contest press release, a certificate of appreciation, and winning artwork will be used in District outreach materials.
The EEI has lesson plans, teaching units, and other resources that help blend the environment into the teaching of the traditional academic subjects of science, history, and English language arts. https://www.californiaeei.org/
US EPA, Environmental Education – https://www.epa.gov/education
US EPA, Learning and Teaching About the Environment – https://www.epa.gov/students
US EPA, Lesson Plans, Teacher Guides and Online Environmental Resources for Educators – https://www.epa.gov/students/lesson-plans-teacher-guides-and-online-environmental-resources-educators
California Climate Investments Children’s Activities
Earth Day Bingo
Earth Day Jeopardy
Inversion Layer Investigation Science Activity – Grades 6-12
Quest for Pollen: Explore the Hidden World of Air Pollution Particles – Grades 3-12
Online Video: “With Every Breath: Health Effects of Smog”
Online Video: “A Breath of Air: What Pollution is Doing to Our children”