Agricultural Burning

Yolo-Solano AQMD is the authority for all agricultural burning in Yolo County and the northeastern portion of Solano County (including Vacaville, Dixon, and Rio Vista). All burning within the District on agricultural lands, including materials from agricultural activities, must be authorized by the District before ignition on all days. All those authorized to ignite an ag burn must first have an ag burn permit

Complete the Ag Burn Permit Application

Download the District’s Ag Burn Permit Conditions

District staff relies on air quality and weather forecasts, as well as acreage allotments from the California Air Resources Board, to set agricultural burning hours/restrictions and authorize individual burns. The daily burn status is provided via a recorded message at approximately 9:30 a.m. each morning. Call 530-757-3660 to find out the daily burn status.

If burning is allowed, District staff will authorize burns according to potential smoke impacts and regional allotments. You must receive authorization before beginning a burn on all days.

Ag Burn Procedure

To burn orchard prunings, field stubble, or other agricultural vegetation, you must follow these steps:

Ag Burn Stages

Here is an explanation of the different types of burn days Yolo-Solano AQMD establishes for agricultural burning based on air quality forecasts and observations.


Agricultural Burning vs. Rural Yard Burning

Agricultural burning includes any open burning of vegetative agricultural materials generated by agricultural operations on land used for commercial agricultural purposes. Rural yard burning is limited to vegetative yard material from maintenance of residential properties not located in an incorporated city, and where local code allows burning.

More Information