Assembly Bill 617 amends California Health and Safety Code section 40920.6. and requires each air district that is a non-attainment area for one or more air pollutants to adopt, by January 1, 2019, an expedited schedule for implementation of Best Available Retrofit Control Technology (BARCT) for industrial sources subject to the California’s Cap-And-Trade requirements. This schedule must be implemented no later than December 31, 2023.
The Yolo-Solano AQMD (District) is currently in non-attainment for federal and state ozone standards. As a result, the BARCT will focus on ozone precursors nitrogen oxide (NOx) and Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC).
Affected Sources and Rules
After reviewing the District’s list of permitted source types at facilities, only two are subject to the BARCT schedule:
- Boilers/Steam Generators
- Internal Combustion Engines
As a result of this review, two rules are affected:
- Rule 2.27: Boilers/Steam Generators, which will be amended during 2019
- Rule 2.32: Stationary Internal Combustion Engines, which will be amended during 2020
The BARCT Schedule
California Health and Safety Code section 90420.6(d) requires the District to consider the following when developing the BARCT schedule:
- The local public health and clean air benefits to the surrounding community
- The cost-effectiveness of each control option
- The air quality and attainment benefits of each control option
A Public Meeting was held on October 1, 2018 at the District office and no comments were received.
- See the post for the Public Meeting Notice
- See the Public Meeting Notice
- See the expedited BARCT schedule
The District’s Board of Directors held a public hearing on October 10, 2018 with no comments and accepted the Expedited Schedule for BARCT from staff.
Please check back for additional updates.